To confirm your right to work in the UK we need to verify the information displayed on your identity document.
The information on this page includes detailed image quality requirements which will help you provide an acceptable document so we can proceed with your right to work check.
It includes information on:
- What you need to include on the image of your document
- How to avoid glare/ flash on a photograph of your document
- Colour requirements
- Original document requirements
- How to upload your documents correctly using the applicant form
Please ensure the photograph or scan you take of your identity document meets the following requirements:
- Include all 4 corners of your document and make sure the edges of the document are not cropped or cut off.
- Take the image in a natural daylight and avoid camera flashes or light glare that can obscure data
- Lay the document on a flat surface, holding it open and take the image from a birds eye view
- Make sure no objects (hands/fingers/pieces of paper etc) are covering any parts of the document
- If the document has information on two sides, we need to see an image of both the front and back of this document. The image of the front and back must be uploaded as separate files and not placed together into one file with any photo editing software or apps.
- We only accept original documents. Screenshots (including from your mobile camera roll), photocopies, prints etc are not acceptable.
- The image must be in colour as we do not accept black and white or greyscale documents.
More detailed guidance can be found below
What you need to include on the image of your document:
We need to see both the data page which contains your personal information/ photograph and the MRZ (machine readable zone i.e.P<GBRSURNAME<<FIRSTNAME<MIDDLENAME<<<<<<<<<<
Perfect image example
Unacceptable image cropping
National Identity Cards, Biometric Residence Permits & Application Registration Cards
We need to see both the front and back of these documents. The images of the front and back must be uploaded as separate files.
All 4 corners must be fully visible of both sides and the MRZ must be included
Birth/ adoption certificates
Make sure that the image you take is both:
- Close enough so your information is legible (especially with handwritten certificates)
- Contains all the below data:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Gender/ Sex
Perfect certificate example
Unacceptable certificate due to cropping
We only accept colour images of the following identity documents:
- Passport Cards
- National Identity Cards
- UK Biometric Residence Permits
- Application Registration Cards
- Residence Documentation
Unacceptable Black and White image
Acceptable Colour Image
Exceptions to black and white documents:
The following documents can be provided as a black and white image if it is an original document and not a photocopy, print of a print, screenshot etc.
- UK Birth Certificate & proof of National Insurance Number
- UK Adoption Certificate & proof of National Insurance Number
- Immigration Status Document & proof of National Insurance Number
- Home Office letters
- Proof of name change
- Gender Recognition Certificate
- Proof of University timetables
- Certificate of Sponsorship
Glare/ camera flash
If you are having difficulty taking an image of your document without a flash or glare covering data please try the following:
- Take the image in daylight in natural lighting
- Turn off lights in the surrounding area
- Turn off the flash on your phone or camera
- Scan your image instead of taking a photograph
Examples of unacceptable image quality
The MRZ (machine readable zone) at the bottom of the passport page is not fully visible. We need to read and extract each character of the MRZ
The passport number found in the top right hand corner is not visible. Additional security features are also obscured in this example.
This document has a large flash or glare obscuring all the data page section (name, date of birth, country of birth etc) and the MRZ (machine readable zone)
We can only accept original documents to confirm your Right to Work in the UK.
- Photo of your original document taken on your camera or phone
- Scan of your original document, including the use of tools like CamScanner and Google photos
- PDF file of your original document, including payslips
- "Certified Copy" versions of UK birth or adoption certificates
- Photos of a screen including mobile phone and computer screens
- Screenshots including taking a photo within a mobile phone, tablet or computer
- Photocopies, including those verified by a Solicitor.
- Documents printed on paper including photos or scans of a previously captured image which has then been printed.
Both sides of your document requirements
If you are providing the following identity documents for a Right to Work check we need both sides of this document (front and back):
- National Identity Card including paper versions
- Biometric Residence Permit
- Passport Card
- Application Registration Card
|National Identity Card|
|Paper National Identity Card|
|Biometric Residence Card|
|Application Registration Card||
Uploading your images correctly
|Choose the appropriate Document Type for example: National Identity Card|
|To view more available options click 'Show More'|
|Click 'Add document'|
Click to add an image of the front of your document.
Then click to add an image of the back of your document
|Click Save Document to add the images of the front and the back to your applicant form|
|Once you have uploaded all the required documents (including both sides) you must then click 'Save and Continue' to proceed to the next part of the form|
|Then press Confirm to submit the form to the Document Processing Team|